Tuesday 7 January 2014

OD&D Premium?

For quite a long time I was blissfully oblivious of the news regarding RPGs in general, and WotC stuff in particular. Some time ago I discovered that Wizards published not only AD&D 1st, but also 2nd and D&D 3rd in their premium editions. And today, when I’ve been skimming through various blogs and posts I’ve noticed two reviews  in which at first I could not believe (namely: here and here). I mean, they have also released 0e? How cool is that!

Of course the price is also premium (150$ retail and 109$ on amazon), but, hell, it’s still much less than trying to get the set from the original run. The problem would be that it’s temporarily out of stock on Amazon. Why would be and not is? Because I plan to ask my flgs to get me a copy when it’s possible.
And why would I like to have it? First, look at it. It’s beautiful, it’s aesthetic. Second, it would be a gem in my collection of sourcebooks (and I really am a dragon for that matter, in my 10 years of gaming I’ve accumulated more than 200 books for about 30 games and I still want more and more). Third, it’s like having a piece of history on Your shelf. Fourth, because I want to. I just do.

And in case You haven’t already seen the reviews that I linked, I’ll write down what can be found in that marvelous wooden box:
  •          3 LBB, 6th print, from what I’ve read. With a better organized, justified interior. Sweet!
  •       All 4 supplements. Even though the new numeration is from I to VII, not I to III and Supplement I to IV, if somebody wants this set, that person probably knows what is what
  •       A set of premium dice. New dice are new dice, who could complain for having more of those?
  •       The box itself. If You remove the elements that hold the booklets in place, You can easily fill in more stuff, like Your homerules, campaign and other little booklets.



So, wish me luck, I really want to get my hands on that!

2 comments:

  1. - Okładki w złym guście typowym dla WotC
    - Brak Chainmaila, którego zasady są dość przydatne do grania w OD&D

    PS. Fajnie, że jest jeszcze jeden polski blog retrogamingowy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Z jednej strony szkoda, że nie zostawili oryginalnych okładek (z tego co pamiętam rysował je Gygax), ale wnętrze pod tym względem z tego co czytałem jest nienaruszone pod względem okładek. Ale z drugiej strony, o ile kocham te pomysły i zasady, to za stroną graficzną wielu podręczników nie przepadam. Mnie kupują ostre kontury i kontrastujące kolory Wayne'a Reynoldsa (dlatego lubię Pathfindera, który ma okropnie ciężkie zasady) i ogólnie same okładki wydają mi się jakieś takie bardziej epickie (ale znowu, to mało przystaje do samych książeczek, bo przecież OD&D jest mordercze).

    Brak Chainmaila rzeczywiście jest problematyczny, wszędzie piszą o tym, że tam są rzeczy, do których są odniesienia w 3LBB (przykład z halflingami i morderczymi procami).

    I widzę, że trafiłeś tutaj w tym samym czasie, kiedy ja trafiłem na Twojego bloga, dzisiaj zdałem sobie z tego sprawę.

    ReplyDelete