Saturday 9 June 2012

The Rules Behind the Stuff

I'm a person that thrives on spurs of creativity. In other words, I find it difficult to sit down and get things done, but I do like have a single idea that I can quickly convert into something more... substantial. Probably it's because of the fact that I'm very prone to procrastination, or maybe it's the sanguine element of my character. Whatever the reason, I'm quite aware of that fact.

Yet still, I do want to produce content for this blog, something that might be of use for some people other than myself (well, maybe right now not many people read what I write, but this blog is two days old and hopefully it'll gain some popularity over time). If I were publishing things related to my retroclone in progress, nobody would have had the possibility to use it. That is why I decided to choose one game and write the stat-blocks and orther rules-related stuff acording to that particular ruleset. My game of choice is Swords & Wizardry: White Box.

Why? The reasons are two-fold. First of all, the rules are simple without being simplistic. S&W:WB possesses all that I need and leaves plenty of space to provide house-rules etc. Secondly, it's a proxy for my own system. It's quite possible that if I manage to finish my game, I'll rewrite the content of this blog to be used with it (leaving the S&W stats, of course).

But if I have something finished for my game I'll also post it here, because feedback is a thing that encourages me to work. So things like basics of the game, Abilities, Classes/Races etc. That will go to the main rulebook will probably appear here as a "work-in-progress" status thing.

Oh, yes. And hopefully my writing will improve along the way. Writing in English only for the purpose of my Academic Writing class made me use a lot of hedging, and the neccessity to keep the deadlines and meet wordcount limits quite delimited the vocabulary that I use in my writing (but I believe it did not touch my inner lexicon as I seem to passively know a lot more words than I'm actively using).

No comments:

Post a Comment